Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Epilepsy is a Pain

I don't think I've ever mentioned it before, but I am epileptic. I kind of just need to rant about my neurologist appointments. Feel free to ignore this! 

I started having seizures sometime in 2012. Throughout those years, the main triggers are dehydration and stress. I've had generalized anxiety for god knows how long so I'm usually stressed all the time about everything (nothing). 

I've been taking Lamictal for my seizures, I'm up to 500mg a day now. Lamictal is used for seizures and other mood disorders - my friend takes the same thing for her bipolar disorder. 

What seems to happen is I'll go months without seizures and then all of a sudden I'll start having them every month, which probably just means my medication needs adjusting as my body has become used to it. Also over the years, the side effects of Lamictal have started bothering me. I didn't experience any immediate side effects, it just seems like they've slowly crept up on me and only then realize that it could be the medicine causing these. 

I've brought up these concerns with my neurologists several visits before, and they usually just up my dose, tell me to sleep and stay hydrated and send me on the way. 80% of the time I don't even get to talk to my neurologist - it's this old balding lady that's his "assistant" (I'm in the process of switching neurologists).  Talking to the assistant doesn't really bother me if I'm there just for a medicine refill, but if I'm there for some other reason - paying them - I want to see the doctor that I'm paying to see. Neurologists are not cheap. I've seen the assistant several times, she's nice. She just has to re-read my entire chart before talking to me about anything and doesn't seem to remember ever seeing me. I guess I'd like a more personable doctor. 

Anyway, I expressed my dislike for Lamictal to her. She has told me every other time I told her I didn't like this medication "Lamictal has the least amount of side effects". I've heard that so. many. times. from them. But I insisted so she put me on Vimpat to use in conjunction with Lamictal. I'm hoping the new neurologist gets me on a new medicine cocktail altogether.

Sorry for the poorly written rant if you read any or all of that! 

1 comment:

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Oh no! That's so scary. And so infuriating that the doctor (and his assistant) aren't helping you the way you need and they're SUPPOSED to.

I had a dog.with epilepsy. I know it's not the same, but she took meds and still had a few seizures a week. It always made me.feel so bad I couldn't help her. I hope you get the medicine sorted out.