Saturday, October 17, 2015

#medicated

Hello all! I hope everyone had a good week and a fun weekend so far. I survived the compressed school schedule (which means I already finished my first semester) and I start all new classes this coming Wednesday, yay! I'm only taking 2 this semester so hopefully I'll have more free time.

I've posted about my epilepsy before and I mentioned my medication, and I just started a new one. I did some research online and I've heard some horror stories about the side effects. I'm on a low dose right now so I haven't noticed any severe side effects. People say horrible things about weight loss and memory loss. Some call the model drug because it makes you space out and skinny. Carbonated beverages taste flat now is the only side effect I've noticed, which is weird and kind of a bummer. But I can live with that!

I'll probably do an update post on the medicine once I've been on it for a bit longer and my dose increases. People always share the horror stories but usually not the neutral ones. Topamax is the drug by the way, do tell me if you've had any experience with it. I've heard the nickname "Dopamax" because of how "doped up" you feel on it because the side effects can be so bad. We will see!

I've been daydreaming about ways to de-stress and what I would be doing (self-medicating, if you will) if I had the time or money.

Shop, of course. 


There are some things at Tiffany's that I've been eyeing and I'm still in the market for boots, liquid liner, and a laptop case. Just being able to go out and have a little shopping day is so relaxing. Even if it's just window shopping or trying on clothes (but of course I wouldn't mind getting those Tiffany's items!). 

Spa day

I desperately need my hair cut and colored, eyebrows waxed, and I wouldn't say no to a facial or a massage of some sort! It would be even better if I could do a mother/daughter spa day with my madre but that would be quite expensive. We could do a DIY spa day with facials and manicures though. I don't think we would trust each other to cut or color our hair, haha. 

Reading for fun

In between school and interning I haven't had time to do any "fun" reading. I could be doing that now to be honest, but I'm trying to catch up on life before the new semester starts. I freaking love this mug by the way. John makes me feel insane sometimes because I smell my books. I'm glad I'm not the only one! I think that is actually one of the reasons I prefer reading physical books rather than books on my iPad. I do have plenty of books on my iPad and and I do occasionally read on it, I'd just rather read a book with pages that I can touch (and smell). 

Date night

Quality time with the boyfriend is always fun, and much needed since we have both been so busy and stressed. He got a gift card for his birthday that is good for any restaurant owned by The Indigo Road (I think) so I suggested we go to the Cocktail Club. Neither of us have been but they are described as "an upscale lounge dedicated to the art of the craft cocktail. An extensive selection of house-made infusions, rare liquors, and farm-to-shaker beverages features fresh-squeezed juices and modern ingredients alongside a menu of light fare. The interior in the historic 1881 building has been cleverly crafted from reclaimed wood structures, fireplaces, original beams, and salvaged doors. The club’s rooftop terrace offers a more modern escape, with a custom garden that provides fresh garnishes for Charleston’s most creative couture cocktails". Sounds right up our alley! 


Chocolate covered strawberries























If chocolate covered strawberries can't can't relieve medicate me and relax my stress, I'm just doomed. Specifically dark chocolate covered strawberries. Oh lordy my mouth is watering just thinking about them. Sigh. Soon, hopefully! 


Anyway, that's how I would self-medicate (for stress and life in general, not for seizures) if I had the time/money. Date night is going to happen though when we both have time, so I am excited for that. 

How do ya'll self medicate your stress? 






1 comment:

Natalia GutiƩrrez said...

I hope this medication will work wonderfully for you. Not all the patients suffer from all the side-effects of a medication, so I certainly hope you will be free of the nasty ones. I take a medication that as a side effect makes my nails stronger, which I love. Maybe something like that can happen to you :)

Natalia | Lindifique