Sunday, March 29, 2015

Lilly Pulitzer & Target

I'm sure most of you have heard the buzz about Lilly Pulitzer collaborating with Target. I know all of you southern gals have. And I know I'm way late on writing about this. 

Back in the day I used to think Lilly Pulitzer was extremely tacky, way too bright, and way too preppy. But over the years it's kind of grown on me, but some patterns are still too bright and too busy for me to handle. Gives me fashion anxiety. Someone told me that the patterns were meant to hide stains, which is pretty cool. I don't know if that's true or not but still cool. 

I'm pretty stoked about the Lilly + Target line, which will be available April 19th. It will feature women's (including plus size, even though it will only be available online), girl's, toddlers, home, and beauty items.

I like Lilly Pulitzer enough to wear it, but not enough to pay the price for it. I've bought one Lilly dress for a high school graduation party and I used pretty much half of my paycheck to get it.

I cropped the other two out because I was unsure if they would be ok with me putting this picture up. But yes, that's high school me with my long blonde hair, and the one Lilly Pulitzer dress that I own. It wasn't one of their popular prints either; I wouldn't look at it and think "Lilly Pulitzer" which is probably why I chose it. 



Here are some samples from the look book that was recently released. { This is not the whole collection }



Lilly Dresses



The usual Lilly shift dresses, some maxis, and a couple of other cute dresses. Some jumpsuits and rompers will also be in the collection. I've always sort of liked the Lilly shift dresses so maybe I'll try one of those. The maxi dresses are really cute too actually. I'm in LOVE with maxi dresses and skirts at the moment. 


Lilly for Target 3



Not a huge fan. I don't dislike them, I just don't see myself buying them. I might end up changing my mind when I see them though (assuming everything isn't sold out by the time I get to Target).


Lilly for Target 2



I really like that navy eyelet coverup. Long coverups don't work too well for us short ladies but if you're tall enough, rock it!



Lilly Pulitzer for Target 4



Ok, I REALLY like that blue and gold bag. I've always liked the scarf tied onto a handbag trend; I'm curious to see if the scarf comes on the bag or if you have to buy it separately. The little gold clutch is quite pretty as well. Overall I'm pleased with the bags.



Lilly Pulitzer for Target 5



Eh, nothing too special here. I like the starfish sandals and maybe the gold wedges. Other than that nothing jumps out at me, which is good because I need new shoes and I'm sure these are going to be more expensive than Target's usual shoes.



Lilly Pulitzer for Target 6



THE SCARVES! Ok, I'd probably buy all of the scarves. Headscarves too. The phone cases are cute, as well as the hat. I'm impressed with the accessories. Thumbs up on those Lilly + Target! Seriously, I'm going to buy some scarves. If they're sold out, it'll be because of me. I freaking love scarves in case I haven't made that clear.


I'm a little surprised they didn't have any skirts. I do want the scarves though. Have I mentioned that I like scarves? That handbag is up on my list too. From what I could tell from the the look book, the plus size women clothing are most of the same items just in bigger sizes. 


Lilly for Target Girls



These are just a few items from the girls collection. I think the girls items are adorable. For some reason, I think it's easier for younger girls to pull off loud Lilly Pulitzer prints; everyone will think they are absolutely adorable. And they'd be right! They also have some cute little hats! As with the women's plus size, the toddler items were again most of the same items as the girl's.



Lilly Pulitzer for Target Home



Yeah, I like the home collection. It's kind of big so this is just a little taste. I like the flask a lot. You probably can't tell from the picture but there is a little giraffe imprint on it. I really like the candle holders too. I'm so glad they don't come with candles in them because I'm so picky about my scents. For the most part the home collection gets a thumbs up from me.



Lilly Pulitzer for Target Beauty


And last but not least, beauty. There are a lot of makeup bags that I might go after because I DESPERATELY need one. Seriously, when I get a new makeup bag I'm going to do a whole post on makeup organization and all that fun stuff. The bobby pins and nail files are cute but I'd rather just get a bulk pack for a lot cheaper. I don't really care how cute my nail file is but that's just me. The nail polishes are Essie, just in colors chosen for the collection. And the lipsticks are L'Oreal Colour Riche Designer Extraordinare Lipstick. I've used Essie and I've liked most of the colors I've tried so far, but I've never tried the L'Oreal lipsticks. I'll probably try one or two of them. Again, if they aren't sold out. 


I was expecting the huge reaction to the Lilly-Target line, but I was definitely not expecting some that were so negative. Like, extremely blown out of proportion negative. I'm stealing these Twitter posts from Refinery29. I won't post Twitter names or anything, just the posts.


"Sorry but @LillyPulitzer should not be sold at Target. Sucks if you can't afford it but that's life."

"Tbh I'm not happy about Lilly for Target. What's the point of investing in their clothes if you can just buy it for cheap at Target now? ?"

"if people say they got something from Lilly at Target...the name will lose its prestige. The brand was kinda built on class"

"Not happy about Lilly being in target! If you weren't classy enough to have it before, you sure as hell aren't classy enough now."

"lilly pulitzer collaborating with target is probably the worst news I will get in all of 2015"

"If Lily starts selling through Target I will stop buying. You are making a high class brand into white trash."



I could go on but I'll stop here. There are more on the Refinery29 page. 



Like, really? The world might actually be ending for these girls. I WISH this would be the worst news I'm going to get in 2015. I may have missed it, but I don't remember this big of a reaction when Target collaborated with Neiman Marcus, Jason Wu, or Missoni. Please let me know if I'm wrong though. The big overreaction might just be in my face because I live in Charleston. Maybe they'll change their minds once they see it all in person? Unless they're too "classy" to step foot into Target. 



Overall, I like the collection. I won't be standing outside Target at 8 am or whenever they open to get everything before it sells out. But I'll go take a gander and pick up a few things (and all of the scarves). I like that they are doing plus sizes, which they haven't done in some previous collections. And the girls/toddler clothes are adorable. This post turned out to be a lot longer than I intended it to be, sorry! 


What do you think about Lilly Pulitzer teaming up with Target? Do you agree with the negative reactions? What do you think of Lilly Pulitzer in general, especially if you don't live in the south? Oh, and let me know if I missed some dramatic reactions when Target teamed up with other designers. I'm intrigued now.

Have a good day loves :)



6 comments:

AshleyL. said...

How exciting! I always love to see who Target partners with in the springtime! Great post.

www.ashley-peterson.com

Sabrina said...

I love the fun vibrancy of these pieces! The mesh top is my favourite.

Sincerely,
Sabrina

The Dragonfruit said...

It's not as if I don't already have a serious shopping problem when it comes to Target....
Haha, it's about to get worse! xD

The Dragonfruit Diaries

Elle Sees said...

the reactions of the girls freaking out cracked me out. i'm not really a LP fan, but do like a few things from this collection.

erika sorocco said...

I LOVE how you look in that Lily dress! I actually feel like I'm one of the few people on the planet who isn't a Pulitzer fan - I just don't love big, splashy, tropical prints I suppose. :/

xx

C said...

Whoa, the negative comments are crazy! I think there's been a bit of that for every high end line Target puts out, but it's always so weird to me. Let us regular folk have something pretty! We already know it's not the "real" thing. I like Lilly in small doses. It usually works for her dresses, and the accessories are all great, but I don't think the pants work. Maybe if I lived in Miami. Haha! Your blue dress is really pretty!