Saturday, May 7, 2011

Embracing Your Imperfections

Every day at school, I constantly hear girls criticizing other girls for things that they don't like about them. They don't like someone's hair, makeup, shoes, weight, smile, etc. I'm working on embracing my own imperfections, and other people's too.

I'm really insecure about 2 big things--my weight and my teeth. I'm not overweight AT ALL. I'm pretty much the exact opposite. I can eat and eat and no matter what I still haven't hit 100 lbs. People always mistake me for a 12 year old, and I used to think clothes looked weird on me because I couldn't fill them out like everyone else. Now I realize that I need to enjoy it while I can, because my mom was the same way, she didn't start gaining weight until after she had my sister and I. I'm not going to be able to eat like I do forever, so I'm going to start enjoying it instead of hating it.

Second, my teeth. I've always had bad teeth, and I went through the whole braces thing. They were supposed to take my braces off for about a month or two, see how much my teeth moved and then put them back on. They didn't give me a retainer, so my front teeth stick out really far and are really spaced out. My dad has been in a bad financial situation so I haven't been able to get braces back on. I'm still not 100% comfortable with my teeth yet, but my boyfriend has really helped me a lot with it. He thinks they're "cute", even though he kind of has to say that since he's my boyfriend. But I think they make me unique, and I'm kind of coming to terms with them.


I love it when celebrities don't try to fix every little imperfection they have. Take Abbey Lee Kershaw for example. I did a blog post on her in June last year, and she inspires me because her teeth aren't perfect, but she rocks them and looks great!


So, what are some of your imperfections that you've started to love? How'd you do it? Share!

16 comments:

Savannah said...

Great post!
I'm really conscious of my legs, so I've been working out more. You're so lucky to be able to eat all that you want and not gain weight, I wish I could!
And your teeth are unique, don't let them bother you!

xxx

Lindsay said...

Anna Paquin is another great example. I love her teeth! It's sad that we feel like we have to change everything about ourselves. Your teeth are perfect the way they are!

Josie said...

Jealous of your weight problem -- although I'm sure that you hear that all the time. I broke my nose competitive cheerleading my senior year in high school and it hasn't looked QUITE right since, despite that I got it re-set -- I'm trying to embrace it!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Leia said...

I think imperfections are part of what make you unique and beautiful! I used to want to get a nose job since my nose is slightly crooked, but I've learned to love it now :)

Leia

erika sorocco said...

I always find it inspiring when celebrities embrace their imperfections. It makes them seem less important, and helps one to find comfort and solace in them. :)

little luxury list said...

Imperfections are definitely a part of us and make us unique. I'm conscious about my legs, but there's not much I can do to change them!

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

Ioana Liliana said...

I think you look simply adorable! And indeed, great post, beacuse really . . who doesn't have imperfections? But I think that these are part of what makes us special :)


Fashezine

Audrey Allure said...

I'm short (5'2"), but that gives me a reason to wear cute heels! ;) My teeth are similar, they're bigger than the rest of my teeth but aren't spaced out. My boyfriend also thinks they're cute haha. So lucky both of us have boyfriends who loves us just the way we are! :)

Elle Sees said...

my nose. ugh. just when i think i've embraced it, someone says something.

Unknown said...

this is a beautiful post. i love how mature you are about it as a teen. just lovely. for me, it was my ultra-white skin. it took me a while to really embrace it, but so freeing once i did! <3 EverRubyGirl.blogspot.com

Sher said...

Oh, I have the same kind of teeth you have too! I think imperfections can be really beautiful in their own way, so I've learned to embrace mine, like it's something that makes me more special:)

For what it's worth, I think you're a real pretty girl!

xx

Jocelyn Ng said...

I love this post! No matter what, a girl have to be confident. I think you're cute :)

Maryse said...

Wauw, lovely pictures!
x

metroswimgal said...

hi! i gave you the stylish blogger award! i LOVE your blog!!!!!! check it out on my blog :) beautybrainswhatelse.blogspot.com/

Abbey said...

I am in love with this post. This inspired me in so many ways. My "imperfections" are my slightly big ears and my thighs. People say I shouldn't worry about them and you know what I shouldn't! I absolutely love this post and your blog. When you have the time,I would greatly appreciate it if you would check my blog:(http://abbeykool123.blogspot.com)
I am a makeup/fashion guru and I think you would enjoy it as well as many others.
Thanks.
Love,
Abbey*** <3

Tara said...

My weight is also an imperfection for me, but unlike you im quite over weight, the way i look at it however is that i have curves and i am very proud of them!