Sunday, July 31, 2011

Do You Use Toners?

When I got my Mario Badescu samples, a toner was included called the "Special Cucumber Lotion". I hadn't used a toner really before, except a while back I did use a Clinique toner that stung like crazy! I looked over my samples, and noticed the second step after cleansing was to use this Special Cucumber Lotion. I knew it was a toner, but I had no idea what the purpose was. So, I referenced my handy little booklet they included and looked up the mystery product.

"Refreshing, disinfecting and deep cleaning astringent that is effective in drying up existing acne blemishes while preventing new eruptions. Sulfur and soothing Cucumber help to fight against oily build-up and bacteria that can cause acne."

Alright, so it cleanses my face...after I already cleansed it? I was pretty confused at this point. So I decided to skip this step my first few days of using the skincare line. Unfortunately, it was around that time of the month, which meant that minor breakouts were starting to appear around my chin. Not huge pimples, just several small whiteheads. I figured I'd give the Special Cucumber lotion a shot. I used it in the morning and at night after cleansing. The first thing I noticed after the first day of using it, my skin wasn't as oily as usual! When I woke up the next morning, my whiteheads were pretty much gone.

Then I looked at the rest of the toners and astringents listed in the booklet, and there are so many options for different skin types! So I learned, toner is not necessary in one's skincare regimen, but it's definitely something to look into if you have problem skin! It's like one of those products (like face primer for me), where you don't realize or think it's necessary until you stop using it, and then you really see what a difference it makes.

After further research, I learned that toners are supposed to get rid of any residue the cleanser may have left behind, so that moisturizer will be more effective. If you get dehydrated skin like me, you may want to look into a good toner (with no alcohol! Don't want to add to the problem).

Toners can also help balance the pH of the skin after you cleanse it, so if you get oily skin throughout the day, a toner could help you out.

Toners


My toner isn't going to be one of those products that I HAVE to repurchase as soon as I run out, but I definitely notice it benefits the overall condition of my skin.

*Arielle commented and wanted to know if there was a difference between a toner and astringent. From what I've gathered, an astringent is much more harsh and generally contains more alcohol than a toner, and can dry or irritate skin more. Toners are more for everyday use and astringents are for a few days out of the week. That was kind of a grey area so please comment and let me know if this is wrong :)

Do you use a toner? Do you feel it is necessary? What toner do you use?

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love my Clinque toner! I couldn't live without it in my kit!

Erica J said...

i use a toner and I think it is absolutely necessary if you are following a whole skin care regimen from a particular skin care line. proactiv is what i use & i love it! Once proactiv runs out, I do have a back up toner and I think I like it simply because it is that extra step of cleansing. You think you get all of the makeup and dirt off, but once you run a cotton ball full of toner all over your face, you realize that is false!

Jessica said...

I use Alba's toner and I definitely find it necessary. I have very bad acne and I follow the pro active 3 step system, cleanse, tone, moisturize. But instead of using pro active products, I use what fits me, but toner I will always use.

Bonnie said...

I loooove Clinique!!! I swear by their facial products. I would have such a horrible complexion without them.

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

gone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gone said...

I love Clinique too, their products just do the job nicely! I've just started my blog, please have a look when you can/ follow me. There should be some interesting posts on the way. Thanks x

troubledchild-jaz.blogspot.com

Allison said...

I was using toner for a while, but have kind of wavered back and forth with it - I should probably be a lot more regimented in using it. I did switch over to The Body Shop and their line of organic moisturizers/toners, so I might just have to start back up again!
xox

Torrie said...

I actually just started using the first toner in your photo from Kiehl's and I notice a difference in my skin tone, for sure. I had used a toner from Dermalogica in college but got lazy after I graduated and up until recently, just ignored that step. I just heard such great things about Kiehl's so I gave it a shot, such a great purchase in my opinion!

Anonymous said...

I've used toners on and off for different reasons. The ingredients in yours sound great for what your describing for your skin problems - I'd love to try that one. Any toner is great for all the reasons you listed, though your cleanser should be pH balanced already. If you need to re-balance that, its time to switch your cleanser! Also, fun fact - Clinique toner can take nailpolish off of a tile floor, and makes great windex in a pinch ;)

Arielle said...

So is a toner the same as an astringent? I'm so confused! I use an astringent only when I have breakouts (which lately has been USUALLY), but I don't get it!

Alessandra Mazzini said...

I think i have to start using some of those products...i only use things for my hair but not for my skin, just a normal moisturizer...

http://fashionindahat.blogspot.com/

Josie said...

I've never tried toner, but I've heard that it can absolutely work wonders... I should give it a shot!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

I don't anymore but used to for years. It definitely gives you that clean feeling but your cleanser should work well enough so you don't need to use one. It's all personal preference though :)

la petite fashionista said...

I used to have a thorough skincare regimen and really liked the toner element; it felt like it did a good job of drying out oily skin.- now i pretty much just use a daily face wash:)

erika sorocco said...

I've actually never tried a toner myself. I find that my skin does quite well with regular handsoap and water, and a few Neutrogena products - astringent pads and such. :)

Elle Sees said...

I rarely rarely ever ever use a toner. But sulfur is THE best for clearing up a zit. Smells gross but it works.

Melanie said...

I do use a toner everyday. Getting one with no alcohol is definitely important because it will be gentle on your skin! I'm using the Clinique Mild Clarifying Lotion now...its their non-alcohol version(unlike their other ones) and is really gentle. Love it!

http://beauty.adorability.org

Britt said...

I also use the MB Special Cucmber Lotion! While I can see that it gets rid of residue that my cleanser leaves behind on a rare day when I wash quickly and carelessly, I don't mind going a few days without it. I don't think they're a huge deal, but maybe that's because I haven't really looked for a good one and used it daily.
So they're probably very useful and helpful, unlike my comment! :D

- Britt

kbousq said...

Just saw your blog off Next & love it! check mine out: stylishinsequins.blogspot.com

Katie said...

I use toner but I'm not convinced it does much, but I don't want to stop and chance it. haha. Love your blog, going to start following :) xo

Audrey Allure said...

I don't use toner - but then again I don't really use many beauty products lol.