Monday, June 14, 2010

Book review: L.A. Candy by Lauren Conrad

I'd heard mixed review about Lauren Conrad's L.A. Candy. But I decided I would read it for myself to judge, basically because I like LC and I needed an easy beach read for the summer.


Photo credit

I won't give out details or spoil the book for those who want to read it, but I still think I have mixed feelings about the book, even after I read it. I kind of felt like I was just reading an episode (or, more like a couple of episodes) of The Hills.

I think my english teacher spoiled me, I'm used to deep-thought provoking books with lots of symbolism and beautiful flowing sentences (which I used to hate but have grown to like). And I wasn't really expecting any of that in this book, but it was strange to read a book where everything was so straight forward for once.

It was cool though, to see how things worked behind the scenes and such of "reality" shows such as The Hills. But while I was reading I couldn't forget the fact that it was written by Lauren Conrad and I kept trying to figure out which characters in the book were most like the ones from the show.

It is a series, so there is a second book, Sweet Little Lies. I don't want to read the second book, but I do because I want to know what happens. This series is like the Twilight series for me; I don't like reading them but I can't stop because I want to know what happens.

So, it's definitely not on my list of recommended books to read this summer. Maybe a few years back it would have been, but not now. LC should stick to TV and fashion.

Have you read L.A. Candy? If so, are you going to read Sweet Little Lies? Let me know your thoughts on this book.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't read the book, nor am I planning to, because what you said pretty much explains how I already felt about this book. And let's be honest: Conrad may be an entrepreneur in the making, but she's no author. Besides,I already have too many guilty pleasures. Plus, after all the English classes I've taken, I can only go so low. But maybe that's a good thing :)

I'm glad you did a book review though! I'm planning on doing one too- once I finish a book!

Elizabeth Faraday said...

i haven't read them actually, but i might someday! like you said it's an easy beachy summer read which is probably why i'll read it!

elizabethfaraday.blogspot

Josie said...

Despite the fact that I'm an English major, I am ALL ABOUT the chick lit, especially in the summer. I haven't read this book, although I'm a big LC fan. I probably will although I'm sure it's not exactly great literature and I did hear that it's rather like "The Hills..."
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Books&Jewels said...

i havent read it, but started the first few pages off the barnes/noble site...are the names all changed around? is it based off the actual characters??

Elle Sees said...

Aw man! I was hoping to read this as a trashy summer book. thanks for the review!

J. said...

I'm the same way with series...even if the first book is no good, I just HAVE to find out what happens.

I think I'm going to stay away from LC, I don't think I'm ready to be sucked into a 3 book series lol.

http://jammer10am.blogspot.com/

Gets said...

They don't have this in Singapore! D:

Ugh. Hoping it come out soonly. Great idea of doing a book review! :D

Love,
Gets

http://wastedseventeen.blogspot.com

PS I dislike Twilight too. (:

Gracey Williams said...

I don't know if they are based off of the actual people, but I think the characters in the book have similar traits to the people in LC's life. I probably will unfortunately end up reading Sweet Little Lies haha.